Silly, fun and tasty AF, there's always a time and a place for a tiki cocktail but one elixir reigns supreme: the Mai Tai. Invented by the legendary Trader Vic in the 1940s, this cocktail has woven its own tapestry of legend and lore, and still captures the imagination of cocktail enthusiasts worldwide. However, you don't need to go to a tiki bar in order to enjoy one as making them at home is as easy as any other cocktail.
- 1 1/2 oz Dark Rum
- 1/2 oz Light Rum
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Orange Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Orgeat Syrup
- Crushed Ice
- Mint Sprig and Lime Wheel for garnish
Mai Tai Recipe
- Fill a shaker with crushed ice.
- Pour in dark and light rum, lime juice, orange liqueur and orgeat syrup.
- Shake vigorously until well chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a tiki or rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a lime wheel.
Pro-Tip To elevate your Mai Tai, use premium aged rums for a richer and more complex flavor profile. It's like sipping a piece of tiki history.
Hot Remix For an unexpected twist on the classic Mai Tai, substitute gin for rum. This variation brings gin's botanicals into the tiki scene, infusing the drink with a delightful herbaceous complexity.